Bachelor of Commerce - B.Com. Master of Commerce - M.Com.
The establishment of the Department of Commerce was itself the stepping stone for the college in the year 2005. With the humble start of one division at the first year with 56 students, it grew to 900 plus students today. The introduction of Post Graduate course in the year 2019 added one more feather in the Department’s cap.
In all these years, the Department with its vision and continuous efforts could achieve greater heights in terms of students’ achievement and progression. The biggest strength of the department is dedicated and qualified staff and disciplined students.
To offer commerce education to the learning community benefiting society.
To provide varied opportunities of learning to the students through education in Commerce aiming at creating professionals who will face the local and global challenges.
Objectives – B.Com.
- To develop basic understanding of the commerce subjects as students are completing three years for Bachelors in Commerce (B.Com.) program, which would help them to gain knowledge about different commerce subjects, its concepts and theoretical framework
- To receive industry exposure as the curriculum also offers a number of specializations like Marketing and Costing which make them do practical on the basis of Industry Visit and collect necessary experience in assimilating the real-time application of concepts & theories in the industries
- To develop necessary skills in applying concepts and techniques used in commerce subjects. This helps them to integrate knowledge, skills and right attitude towards industry requirements and plan accordingly for further personal development
- To opt careers in different fields such as Chartered Accountancy, Banking Services, Insurance Sectors, Marketing, Company Secretary, Stock Exchange Services, Tax Consultancy, Management & Planning, Entrepreneurship, Law etc.
Objectives – M.Com.
- To equip and train Post Graduate students to accept the challenges of the business world by providing opportunities for study and analysis of advanced commercial and business methods and processes
- To develop independent logical thinking and facilitate personality development
- To equip the students to seek suitable careers in management and entrepreneurship
- To acquaint students with significance of research in business
- To impart skills regarding methods of data collection and their interpretations
- To develop communication and analytical skills among students
The teachers of the Department have been using creative and innovative teaching methods with an objective to make the teaching learning process more interesting, participative and experiential. Teachers have well adopted themselves to the use of ICT based teaching. The lectures are made lively by using Power – Point Presentations, Role Plays, Group discussions, etc.
The teaching methods adopted are
- Lecture Method
For various subjects like Accountancy, Business Mathematics and Statistics, Cost and Works Accounting, Auditing and Taxation, Business Management, Business Communication, Marketing Management lecture method is used for effective delivery of the curriculum. The lecture method is facilitated by classroom discussions.
- Demonstration Method
The Faculty of Commerce has various subjects where demonstration method of teaching is perfectly useful. The teachers use this method for subjects like Accountancy, Cost and Works Accounting, Auditing and Taxation.
- Experiential Learning
The Practicals for subjects like Cost and Works Accounting, Marketing Management, Auditing and Taxation, Business Communication give a great opportunity to make students apply their concepts and knowledge. The teachers conduct some of these practicals based on the visit to industries done by the students.
- Collaborative method
The Department has been trying hard to bridge the gap between Industry and Academia. Industry Experts are invited for various guest lectures, workshops and sessions on topics like ITR filing, GST, IPR’s, Accounting Standards, Cost Accounting Standards, etc.
- ICT in teaching and learning
The department uses the e-resources from the following portals for teaching. These resources have proven to be a great source to the students for preparation towards the exam.
The students are made aware to the use if Swayam portal for various online courses, videos and e-content which helps them to cope up better with their conceptual understanding.
The department has started using Google classroom to enable e-learning among the students. All the students are enrolled in the Google classroom. Videos, PowerPoint presentations, E-material, Notes are shared through Google classroom. Students also share their work through this classroom.
The Department has collaborated with the following institutions:
The College has entered into an MOU with NSDL with a motive to spread financial literacy amongst the college students and staff through various certificate programs offered by NSDL.
- JSBL Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
The Department in association with JSBL Solutions Pvt. Ltd. Offers a certificate program which aims to focus on preparation for Banking Recruitment Examinations and Interviews.
- EmpoVer HR Solutions, Bengaluru
The Department in collaboration with EmpoVer works for the overall development of the students by providing inputs through Special Lecture, Training Programs and Workshops to enhance the employability skills of the students
- Institute of Cost Accountants of India
The College signed a MoU with The Institute of Cost Accountants of India (ICAI). This MoU will help students with inputs from practicing and expert Cost and Management Accountants in the form of special lectures, internships, etc.
Add-on/ Value Added/ Bridge Courses
The following add-on/ value-added/ bridge courses are offered by the department;